Monday, June 7, 2010

Doe-Rae-Me

I'm happy to write that Chrissy's absent stare and dark place seems to have finally moved on. This one lasted much longer, maybe because back and leg pain was present also. This is different because, for the most part of these past seven years, she has not focused on pain, almost like it's not even recognized.

Today at lunch we were around the table and I leaned in toward her and said, "guess what we did this morning" to which she promptly pointed that finger and said, "did you skip church this morning?!" Now this was just too funny because while we did attend church this morning, we slipped out early - after the music and before the pastor began. Typical of Chrissy before dementia - parental mode with that legalistic finger! My sweet man just grinned at her pointed finger!

this snapshot was a pose - she normally doesn't smile when she points her finger

More and more Chrissy will look over at me as if to say something but has forgotten that quickly. The other night while watching TV she looked over and said, "doe-rae-me" and just grinned! When I asked what she was talking about she smiled and said, "I need some doe-rae-me!" Money! She was asking me to go to her bank and get her some money! I so wished I had a picture of her happy face when I guessed her reference to money.

3 comments:

karen said...

What a wonderful picture. A smile says alot. Mom used to what money all the time. Her favorite thing to do was get in her purse and count her money. I would make sure it had at least 20 ones in it. That kept her busy for awhile.

Judy said...

Karen that's a good suggestion - the one dollar bills. She usually says get me fives, tens, and twentys! I have a small can of change at the office that she loves to count out. Thanks for stopping by!

Oh Dear said...

LOVE that picture!!!